12 December 2022
Winter Warmer Competition
Easy ways to take the chill out of your finances this Winter
The challenges we are set to face this Winter have been well documented: from energy bill hikes to rising food prices, it seems there are few of us who won’t feel the pinch.
At Manchester Credit Union, we're here to help people feel better off through easy ways to save and affordable, ethical lending - and have compiled a list of tips that will help make our money go further over the coming months – as well as offering the chance for you to win a Winter Warmer hamper!
Insulate your home
Did you know, UK homes are among the worst insulated homes in Europe? This means we’re wasting money cranking up the heating, only for it to be lost through our poorly insulated lofts, walls and floors.
It’s never too late to start thinking about making your home more insulated. The government has announced a series of schemes to help, including the ECO+ scheme aimed at lower council tax homes and the most vulnerable.
There are also affordable finance schemes available to future-proof your home against rising energy bills: Manchester Credit Union has teamed up with Your Home Better; to offer advice on the options available to upgrade your home – and loan options to help cover the costs.
Be in the know with benefits
To help with increasing energy bills, all electricity customers will receive a £400 credit to their accounts in six instalments from October 2022 to March 2023 and prepayment customers will see £66 or £67 credit added to their meter once a month for six months from October. You won’t need to take action – but make sure your contact details are up to date if your energy supplier needs to contact you.
Pre-payment customers might also be eligible for an emergency fuel voucher from the Fuel Bank Foundation. The £49 voucher (£30 in summer months) is accessed via a referral from one of the charity’s 250 partners, which include food banks and Citizens Advice branches.
There are also several one-off payments you may be eligible for: from a £650 Cost of Living Payment to a £150 Council Tax rebate. Make sure you are aware of all the benefits you are entitled to by using this free benefits checker.
Talk to your energy supplier
If you’re worried about being able to pay energy bills as the days turn colder, there are ways your energy supplier should help. Firstly – check your bill and how the figure has been worked out. If you think your supplier has made a mistake (they have been known to!) then don’t be afraid to call them to understand how they have arrived at their estimate. The energy regulator Ofgem can help you if you are unhappy with the way your query is handled.
Some energy companies allow you to reduce your direct debit size – this won’t bring down the overall energy bill, but it will make the monthly costs more manageable.
Turn to Manchester Credit Union
As a payroll partner, you can save as little or as much as you like through our FREE payroll deductions BEESMART scheme – and you can also access exclusive loan deals which aim to give a better deal compared to expensive credit cards and pay day lenders.
If you haven’t signed up as a payroll member already, speak to your HR department or visit https://www.beesmartpayroll.co.uk
Have you got a top tip for saving money this Winter? Big or small- Manchester Credit Union want to hear it! Email your suggestions to email@example.com – each suggestion will be entered into a draw to win a Winter Warmer hamper!
Competition closes 6th Jan 2023. See full terms and conditions below:
- The Winter Warmer prize draw is organised by Manchester Credit Union, registered address Queens Court, 24 Queen St, Manchester M2 5HX. Manchester Credit Union Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (FRN 213400)
How to enter:
- Entries received after the advertised closing dates will not be accepted.
- Manchester Credit Union prize draws and competitions are free to enter, and no purchase is necessary.
- Manchester Credit Union will not accept responsibility for entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any postal failure, equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
- By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manchester Credit Union reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these
- Unless otherwise stated, our prize draws and competitions are open to all except employees of the Manchester Credit Union, their families, agents or any third party directly associated with administration of the prize draw.
- Entrants under 18 must get consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before entering. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of entrants under 18 agree to these Terms and Conditions on behalf of the entrant.
- A winner will be chosen by random draw performed by a computer process within one week of each competition ending.
- The winner will receive details of the prize.
- The winner will be notified by email within 1 day of being chosen and must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to Manchester Credit Union within 10 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Manchester Credit Union will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- The prize will be sent to the winner within 14 days of responding to the Manchester Credit Union.
- The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. Manchester Credit Union reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Manchester Credit Union control makes it necessary to do so.
- The decision of Manchester Credit Union regarding any aspect of the prize draw or competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- Manchester Credit Union reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
Limitation of liability:
- Insofar as is permitted by law, Manchester Credit Union, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Manchester Credit Union, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Data protection and publicity:
- Manchester Credit Union is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and will only use your personal information in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- By entering, you agree that any personal information provided by you with your entry may be held and used by the Manchester Credit Union or its agents and suppliers to administer the competition and to promote the winner.