25 January 2023
Winter Warmer Competition Results
It was great to hear everyone’s tips for saving money and keeping warm this winter. Congratulations to our winner above collecting their Winter Warmer Hamper Prize! We had a fantastic response – here are some of the most popular suggestions:
- Batch cooking & use the microwave to re-heat
- Use an air-fryer or slow cooker instead of the oven
- Plan meals for the week and only buy what you need
- Meet your friends in an ASDA café – they have unlimited tea and coffee for £1 (over 60’s only!)
- Wear lots of layers in the house and use less heating – thermals are great, as well as oversized fleecy hoodies – very cheap at Tesco.
- Take advantage of warm spaces like libraries – arrange to meet your friends there.
- Change to LED lighting – initial outlay but saves loads in the longer term
- Keep warmth in by using draught excluders and drawing curtains and blinds
- Read a book instead of watching the telly!
- If you live alone heat yourself and not the whole room with an electric or weighted blanket
- If you use a heated airer keep it in the room you’re in – not pretty but warmer!
- Hot water bottles on the sofa, not just in bed!
One of the winner’s top tips for saving money was socialising! Take it in turns to cook between you and your friends, which means a whole day or evening without using your cooker or heating when you go to their house (if enough of you do it you could only be cooking a couple of days a week!).
Our other two favourite tips were:
There are loads of free things to do in Manchester so if you are cold and can’t afford to put the heating on go to a local gallery or museum, it will be warm and you get to see some of our hidden gems.
Instead of joining the gym this new year - sign up for free to your local Parkrun or meet your friend in the park for a walk.